Saturday, July 17, 2010

Talkin' 'Bout My Generation

So a movie was recently announced entitled The Social Network, written by Aaron Sorkin and directed by David Fincher. It's long been shorthanded to "The Facebook Movie." On various message boards (probably mostly the Hell that is AICN) posters have long been bragging about how pointless new social media is and how they have integrity in abstaining from it (it's either integrity, being old and grumpy and/or not having many friends. Can't remember which) or making stupid comments on how a movie based on a website can't be any good.

Is everyone on crazy pills?

First of all, anything can be turned into a good movie. Anything. Books, songs, theme park rides, products. I can't imagine someone saying they were doing a movie about cocaine. "Why watch a movie when I can snort it?" Or a movie about basketball. "Why watch a movie when I can watch a game?"

Besides that, it totally misses the point. This looks like a Pirates of Silicon Valley-type expose that goes into all the shady dealings behind the history of Facebook and the bizarre "creator" behind it, Mark Zuckerberg. And personally it gets into one of my favorite subjects: immediate history. There was a reason why I enjoyed W as much as I did. I think it's fascinating to take a look at where you're going while you're going there. And the trailer kicks ass, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment